A Fond Farewell To Critical Threat Comics
We are sad to announce a local comic book and gaming store by the name of Critical Threat Comics is closing their doors for the last time. This information was released on their Facebook page on December 15th:
Hello everyone. This is Jess, one of the two original owners of Critical Threat Comics. You may have seen me around, or seen my signature on a lot of our posts.
I wanted to take a moment and update everyone on what’s been going on at CTC. I can’t give too many details to protect the people involved until some resolution arises, but I wanted to offer you all some expectations for what may affect you as customers and friends of the store and my staff.
If you’ve stopped by the shop in the last few days, you may have seen a sign on the door that reads “CTC is closed. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please check our Facebook page for updates on when we will be open.”
Over the next week or two, the shop will be open on limited hours. We have not decided those hours yet since we have a smaller staff and need to check availability, but I expect they will probably be just afternoons between approximately 12pm-5pm. We are not hosting evening events for the time being.
We may be starting a liquidation sale as early as the next few days, depending on some details I’m still trying to nail down and stories I’m trying to get straight before I take such a final and irreversible action. If we do, you can expect full announcements of sale hours, discounts, and other details here on this page.
Suffice it to say, it’s been a rough few months for CTC, and my priority at this point is to take care of my employees, take care of our customers, and take care of our business relationships to the best of my ability.
And hey, if worse comes to worst, at least you might get some last-minute holiday shopping done at some wicked closeout prices.
As many know, The Geek Lyfe is largely based in Arizona and in the time that we have covered conventions over here, we have seen and interacted with Critical Threat Comics. At every single convention they have attended, they always treated con goers with warm welcomes and were excited to share their passion for gaming and comics.
Before we go any further, Critical Threat Comics will be having sales at their store with insane discounts! They need the business and the support during these times so I highly encourage folks to hurry out during their limited hours and give all you can! You can not beat getting quality comics at cheap prices and also helping to support small business owners in such troubling times! Check their Facebook for more information!
They made videos informing fans of what was going on in the comic world so consumers were that much more informed on the comic book market so their hard earned cash would go straight to what would benefit them! I give them so much credit for taking so much time and energy in not only running a fantastic comic book store but also making content and having an appearance at conventions.
Friends of mine had talked about their experiences with Critical Threat Comics and I was blown away by the amount of positive experiences they had. I have such a huge regret about not going and supporting them so much more in the past, especially knowing they supported folks coming and playing D&D!
I originally wanted to very different article but two staff members came forward to ask me to do a more humble piece in support of other comic book stores so their fans would be in the know of who they can trust with their money!
So in honor of their request here are my recommendations for comic book shops we, at The Geek Lyfe, love!
- Jesse James Comics – Jesse James Comics is the shop I, Darth Mexican, have been going to since high school. They offer a huge assortment of comic books, figurines, gaming supplies, and so much more. The owner, Jesse, has been nothing short of incredible to me over the years even when I was a stupid shy geek. He always took the time to talk with me about comics, life, and business which was one of the major factors to me creating The Geek Lyfe! I have had so many great experiences at Jesse James Comics that I can not recommend them enough!
- Drawn to Comics – This is a favorite of another writer by the name of Sew Ashtactic or Ashley Maul! Granted, she might be bias due to being a staff member of their store but she tells me nothing but such positive things about them! They have been open since 2005 and despite having such a great stock, it is their customer service and passion for all things geeky that really draws fans in!
- Gotham City Comics and Coffee – Another staff, Vango Fett, favorite is Gotham City: Comics and Coffee which, as they title hints at, offers the unique experience of being able to shop for your favorite comics while also grabbing a cup of coffee better than Starbucks, not to mention being in Gotham City and not getting harassed by Super Villains! How could you not love this place!?
- Samurai Comics – This is a legend in Arizona for comics is Samurai comics! I am almost positive that every geek in the valley has, at one point in their life, gone to Samurai Comics! It has withstood recessions and lacking comic sales yet it remains stalwart against all odds! This is in no small way due to their selection, passion for their merchandise, and keeping every shopping experience as intimate as if you were shopping with a best friend! Not to mention dope in-house gaming events!
- Critical Threat Comics and Games – Like I said before, this is a dope store and you need to check them out during their final days to get a taste of just how incredible this store was!
Being serious for a moment, I am the child of entrepreneurs who threw caution to the wind to chase their dreams of being artists. It’s terrifying to take the leap with absolutely no guarantee how things will end up but I have a crazy amount of respect for those who decide to pick the road less traveled and become business owners.
They are at the mercy of the industry and economy, having to get creative with solutions on how to bring in money during hard times. While it is sad to see a wonderful indie comic book store like Critical Threat Comics and Games go, it should serve as a reminder to all geeks that we should do all we can to help support our local shops.
I understand that buying online or torrenting comics might be easier but nothing can replace the experience of walking into a store filled of people happy to see you and then chat with you about your shared passions before giving you advice on what to purchase then wishing you well. It is absolutely priceless and definitely worth you taking a trip to your local store and helping them out! Jesse James comics is my own sanctuary when times get hard, even if I am broke, one trip there reminds me that I am appreciated and surrounded by folks who care more about the money in my pocket.
Everyone here at The Geek Lyfe wish all the best to the owners and staff at Critical Threat Comics and hopes this new year leads to wonderful experiences and opportunities! We have been inspired to help support more local businesses and promise to start providing coverage for their events to help them flourish! Although we might be small, we will do all we can to help out our fellow geeks!
Have a great day! 🙂 GO VISIT THEM! WE SURE WILL!
All photos are from https://www.facebook.com/criticalthreatcomics/?fref=ts