Opinion – World of Warcraft: Legion
On 8/6/2105 in Germany at a convention called Gamescom, Blizzard announced their next expansion: Legion and gave information to the major aspects of what was coming next.
The story of this next chapter of WoW takes Gul’Dan to open the flood gates for demons and they come to Azeroth once again with a vengeance. So we can expect to battle demons both small and large. Additional information was released that we would be traveling to the Emerald Dream and the Emerald nightmare, get to see Queen Azshara who never previously appeared in the World of Warcraft franchise save for novels. The latest zone unlocked will be the Broken Isles, famous for having Sargeras’ tomb which is riddled with artifacts sought by the legion.
Here are the list of new features we can expect:
- New Class: Demon Hunter- Just like an infamous night elf from the Burning Crusade, heroes can now become Demon Hunter able to both dps and tank if needed. Their combat style seems to be somewhat of an arcane rogue. Because the slideshow presented at the convention only showed Night Elves and Bllodelves we can assume it will be restricted to those races for lore reasons.
- Class Halls: Unlike garrisons, these halls will be shared with both Alliance and Horde and are class specific. All warlocks will enjoy time together in their hall despite being opposite factions and even gather powerful NPC allies to assist them on the Broken isles.
- Artifacts: Each player will be given a quest to find and use an artifact of immense power depending on the class/spec. Enhance shaman swill be able to wield Doomhammer and Deathknights will find Frostmourne. They can then upgrade and alter the appearance of the weapon as they choose.
- New Honor System: The honor system will function more like Call of Duty’s prestige system where players will gather honor, unlock 50 perks and then have the option of resetting for an additional perk of cosmetic changes.
- Level Cap Raised to 110: Yay?
While there are some cool aspects of this expansion, I can not get over the feeling that Blizzard is preparing to end everything with the expansion after this one. How can you top artifacts and unlocking all of the VIP/mystical areas of the world and then do something greater than this? The only way the expansion that follows this one can be greater is if they plan to have one last brawl with Sargeras the fallen titan himself.
Granted, the game has fallen from grace since Cata first appeared, Warlords helped a but but didn’t offer players enough to go off of. As much as I hate to say it, I kind of hope Blizzard is planning to end their WoW franchise by pulling out the big guns and putting an end to all this expansion madness, otherwise I fear that the game will turn into a cash grab that will lead to even lower subscription rates until they kill it without an end of their choice.
Then work on new projects!
But that’s just my humble opinion.
What do you all think?